Follow us on Twitter

Can a councillor step in and be the clerk while looking for a new one?

0 votes
Our clerk has resigned her post and we would like to make sure we get the right person for the job, can one of our councillors take on the role while we advertise and interview for a new one?
asked by (230 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
Best answer
Yes. They cannot be paid, though, either while a councillor or for twelve months afterwards, so it is strictly a volunteer role. In addition, they must be properly appointed by the council. An alternative is to ask a clerk from a nearby council to take on the role temporarily on a paid basis. But it is not uncommon for a councillor to step in and at least keep things moving. Good luck!
answered by (28.2k points)
selected by
Ex-councillor applied for the job as town clerk.

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative