Follow us on Twitter

Ex-councillor applied for the job as town clerk.

0 votes
I see from your first reply that you said that a councillor can not be paid for the role for twelve months could you direct me to information on this.
asked by (230 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

The Local Government Act 1972, s116 specifically states that a councillor cannot become a paid Clerk for 12 months but they can do it for free:

116 Members of local authorities not to be appointed as officers.

A person shall, so long as he is, and for twelve months after he ceases to be, a member of a local authority, be disqualified for being appointed [or elected] by that authority to any paid office, other than to the office of chairman or vice-chairman [or, in the case of a local authority which are operating executive arrangements which involve a leader and cabinet executive, the office of executive leader or member of the executive]. . ..

answered by (10.7k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative