Follow us on Twitter

Temporarily closing a dangerous riverside footpath

0 votes
Can a parish council temporarily erect signs warning walkers to not use a section of footpath for safety reasons as it is eroding away into the river it runs along, bounded by a chain link fence which people have to hang onto to avoid slipping into the river?
asked by (200 points)

2 Answers

0 votes
All Parishes have to power to warn of dangers, and this would be a good example.

However, they don't have the power to close the footpath.

The power is s72, Road Traffic Regulations 1984.

You do, however, need the permission of the owner of the land where you are putting the signs (an email will suffice).
answered by (8.1k points)
edited by
+2 votes
If there is an immediate danger to the public, you should call the Police. If not, and the path is a legal right of way, you should notify the rights of way officer at your county council. If it's not a legal right of way, notify the landowner.
answered by (29k points)
I would say that the Council ROW officer is the correct authority , They can then issue a TTRO to close it for up to 18 months

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative