Follow us on Twitter

As a PC can I claim for a printer cartidge?

0 votes
I have been printing alot of items off  with regards to PC items. I asked if I was able to claim for a cartidge ( I have never claimed for anything before) What promted me is when I saw 2 cheques raised, one for the chairman and the other for another councillior. I asked the chair man and he came back and asked me for a record of everything I had printer! I basically told him where to go as I do a lot for our village and I felt my intergity was in question.
asked by (280 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
This is tricky!  In principle, councillors are able to reclaim out of pocket expenses.  Most town and parish councillors do not claim.

Where a claim is made, it is up to the council to decide whether a claim is reasonable, and this would often be delegated to the clerk.  In your case, the clerk may not be independent of the chairman.  Or a decision could be made by the council - it cannot be made by an individual councillor, or even a group of councillors not in a formal meeting.

Usually, such matters can be resolved with goodwill and common sense.  In your case that may be difficult.  There is no obvious way to resolve this.
answered by (29k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative