what is the procedure for a member of the public to require a parish council to meet and hold a vote

0 votes
asked by (130 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
A member of the public cannot force a local council to hold a meeting or to consider any particular matter.  If pressure on councillors does not work, then the only thing to do is wait until the next periodic election comes round - which will be in 2015 - and put up some different candidates.

Having said that, most councils are willing to consider matters that concern their electors.

What you can do is to hold a parish meeting.  One should be held annually, but a parish meeting can be convened at any time by six electors.  A parish meeting can discuss anything to do with the parish, and can vote on resolutions put by any elector.  However, resolutions that are passed are not binding on the parish council - but they may give a clear indication of local feeling.
answered by (27.1k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions - use the button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.


Google Analytics Alternative