Follow us on Twitter

Must a parish councillor live in the ward they wish to represent?

0 votes
by (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
No, not exactly.  The requirement is that they must qualify by one or more of these criteria for the whole of the previous twelve months prior to becoming a councillor:

* An elector of the parish and either occupied or owned/rented property in the parish

* Resided within three miles of the boundary of the parish

* Had their principal or only place of work in the parish

A ward is an electoral division that does not affect who may stand as a parish councillor.
by (30.8k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative