Do individual town and parish councillors need to register under the Data Protection Act?

+2 votes
It has been suggested that individual councillors need to register under the DPA at a cost of £35 per annum plus the time and effort expended.  This seems huge overkill given that many parish councils could finish up spending as much on DPA fees as on services to their communities.

What are the critical points that will ensure that a councillor can lawfully avoid the need for registration?
asked by (27.1k points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Provided that the Parish or Town Council is registered and that the data being used by the councillors is only for local government use, then  as elected local government members and in conjunction with the clerk that  the data is only used for that purpose then individual councillors do not have to register. If the data is being used for a purpose for which the local council has a power then there is no need for individuals to register.
answered by (360 points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions - use the button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.


Google Analytics Alternative