Town council permitted developement rights

0 votes
The lcoal authority has some permitted development rights, what about town councils? For example local authorities can create new footpaths without planning permission, can town councils do the same on their own land? If so under what power/legislation?

Many thanks for any pointers, I have tried googling it but can only find rights related to house holders.
asked by (120 points)

2 Answers

0 votes
Town and parish councils have permitted rights for small developments. This covers small buildings on their own land, and street furniture such as lamps, shelters, seats, etc. I may be out of date on the legislation, but SFAIK permitted developments are set out in Schedule 2 to the Town and Country Planning (Permitted General Development) Order 1995.
answered by (26.8k points)
0 votes
Might be worth explaining that permitted development is changes to land or property that don't require planning permission. Permitted development rights are not limited to householders, companies and other organisations etc  are just as entitled to exercise them
answered by (5.2k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions - use the button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.


Google Analytics Alternative