Follow Councillor Q&A on Twitter

Follow us on Twitter

+1 vote
by (620 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Yes, provided the standing order to be overriden is not demanded by the law.  You'll probably find that your standing orders contain a list of motions that can be moved without notice.  One of them (in bold because it is part of the legislation) probably says something like "To suspend any standing order except those which are mandatory by law. "

So the usual procedure is to move a motion to suspend the standing order that is in the way of what is to be done, and then deal with the motion in question.  That procedure doesn't permanently affect the standing orders, just temporarily sets one or more aside for a specific purpose.
by (32.5k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Clares Cushions logo Peacock cushion

Clare's Cushions creates beautiful hand made cushions and home accessories from gorgeous comtemporary fabrics. We have a fantastic selection of prints including Sophie Allport and Orla Kiely designs and most covers can be ordered either alone or with a cushion inner. Buying new cushions is an affordable and effective way to update your home interior, they're also a great gift idea. Visit our site now

Google Analytics Alternative