Follow us on Twitter

Childcare expenses - Councillor becoming Clerk - S112 (5) & 116 LGA 1972

0 votes
I'm aware of the legislation above that states that a Councillor may resign and become an Officer but cannot receive remuneration for a period of 12 months. However, can the Council pay for childcare expenses incurred?
asked by (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
A councillor can act as clerk without resigning, but cannot be paid, as you say for 12 months after ceasing to be a councillor. I would think payment for childcare would be treated as remuneration, and thus not allowed.
answered by (29.8k points)
Thanks for replying :) Its such a grey area. I completely understand the rationale behind this legislation, but its one thing not receiving remuneration for doing the role for such a long time, and another for it to actually cost someone for doing so. I'm aware there are various ways that childcare could be paid for. If the Council was to pay the childcare directly themselves, surely as i'd never be receiving any actual money this couldn't be classed as remuneration? Albeit it may still be classed as a "benefit".

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative