Follow us on Twitter

Reclaiming 3 years of VAT

0 votes
I’ve recently joined a small Parish Council where the Clerk has not claimed back VAT for 3 years. It has been months now and she is saying that Gateway isn’t set up properly and she can’t do it. Please can someone summarise the process? I don’t think it’s claimed back through Gateway.
asked by (160 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Are you VAT registered? If so it would be through the VAT gateway and the Clerk needs to give them a call about it as they will recognise her position within the council as one of those with authority.

If you are not registered, you need to complete a VAT126 form I believe.
answered by (16.8k points)
Google Vat 126. You should have a XHV type of a unique identifier for your Parish Council You can enter the information online and then print it off and post it. It is very Easy. The information required is Just Date of transaction , Suppliers VAT number , WHo is on the invoice ie Acme Parish Council , Simple summary of goods ie It Equipment and the Value of the Vat to be reclaimed. Then you have to total your claim and send it off.
I find the easiest thing to do is every month go through your invoice and build you claim - ready to submit either 1/4 or annually depending on the volume.

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative