Follow us on Twitter

Policy Formation

0 votes
Should policy be written by, or at the very least include input from officers, when creating a policy?
I assume policy formation can be delegated if it is infact minuted.
asked by (4.2k points)

4 Answers

+2 votes
Best answer
Most job descriptions for a Clerk include a paragraph which says
"The Clerk is expected to advise the Council on, and assist in the formation of, overall policies to be followed in respect of the council’s activities, and in particular, to produce all the information required for making effective decisions and to implement constructively all decisions."

As the clerk is the legal officer I would suggest that the council asks the clerk to prepare an outline policy document that can then be srutinised by the council before adoption.

At least that is our approach, although in practise the clerk will often suggest a certain policy is adopted to clarify the councils position on a particular topic.

I recall there was a question on policies a while ago with lots of suggestions on policies required by a council.

answered by (3.5k points)
selected ago by
+1 vote
All of the key policies have an NALC template written by experts in the field and there is safety in using them in their full and unedited form where it is possible to do so. Engagement with stakeholders is a really positive way to go about any process, but "written by" may be a step too far.
answered by (24k points)
0 votes
Incredibly helpful as always on this page. Thank you both
answered by (4.2k points)
+1 vote
The clerk is there to advise the council but the decision of what goes into the policy is decided by the council. They may well adopt or modify templates etc based on NALC or other advisory bodies but policies are there to enable councils to carry out their duties to the communities they represent legally and efficiently. All policies should be developed with this in mind and the policy wording has to be ratified by councillors. Beware of a one size fits all templates and trying to shoehorn your council into it. Make your own decisions based on what you need.
answered ago by (5.5k points)
I would agree that the best thing to do is use NALC templates and customise them to your needs.
eg, if the NALC template refers to a staffing committee, but you have a personnell committee, then just change that wording.
Some NALC Templates leave a fair amount of wriggle room enabling you to modify it to fit your organisation, the complaints procedure being a key one.  My other opinion is that SLCC templates can be looked at, but of the few I have seen (served up as best practice) none were suitable, and more a clerks doc that one for the public and councillors to follow.

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative