Follow us on Twitter

if a clerk resigns, does the deputy clerk get his job or do a parish council have to advertise the position.

0 votes
by (350 points)

3 Answers

+3 votes
Every job should be advertised
by (5.5k points)
clerk has resigned.
+2 votes
If by "deputy clerk" you mean the person designated in policy document ( or standing orders) as to the person who would  take over the clerks duties in the event of illness or resignation ( or even death ) then this is a stand by position until the vacancy is, as stated, advertised and filled.

Having such a delegation contingency in standing orders is an excellent way of ensuring the continued smooth running of the PC until a new clerk is employed
by (12.2k points)
+1 vote
The best practice is to advertise but with internal staff being made aware they can ofcourse  apply hence open, honest and fair.
by (4.6k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative