Follow us on Twitter

Selling a small patch of land - what are the Parish Council's legal requirements

0 votes
I'm wondering what the PC is required to do in terms of advertising the sale. For instance, does it have to put it in the Public Notices section of the local newspaper?
asked by (180 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
The main provisions are included in Section 127 of the Local Government Act 1972. If the land is not charity land, or subject to any trusts or covenants, or public open space, or burial ground, or allotment, there is freedom with regard to the manner of sale, but with the proviso that it must be sold for the maximum consideration that can reasonably be obtained. It is for the Parish Council to determine how this can be achieved, but failure to advertise widely would make it difficult to demonstrate maximum consideration, if challenged at a later date.
answered by (15.9k points)
Many thanks DavetheClerk. Appreciate your help.

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative