Follow us on Twitter

If a parishioner does unauthorised work on council land or property. What should the Council's response be?

0 votes
asked by (1.3k points)

1 Answer

0 votes

My approach would take depend entirely on the specific circumstances.  Sometimes little more than a quiet polite word is all that it takes (particularly if someone‚Äôs doing it for free out of love of their village just a little misguided).  I find simply engaging with them and finding things they can do (sometimes what their doing just not quite safe enough and turning blind eye like others may have done in past no longer an option).

Id pose these initial questions?  

  1. Is the individual carrying out said work to a structure or building without the necessary qualifications in doing so places themselves (or others) at increased risk?
  2. Will said work carried out invalidate buildings insurance? 
  3. Has anyone contacted the individual to ascertain their position? (for example has an individual Cllr inadvertently given them the impression they had authorisation?)  
  4. Is the individual carrying out work with the expectation of been retrospectively reimbursed by said Council?
answered by (900 points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative