Follow us on Twitter

Voting rights for non-councillors?

0 votes
Our local town council has a committee consisting of councillors and non-councillors. The non-councillors have voting rights. Is this allowed?
asked by (1.7k points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
No. The legislation is contained in the Local Government and Housing Act 1989, section 13.

"...a person who -
(a) is a member of a committee appointed under a power to which this section applies by a relevant authority and is not a member of that authority;

shall for all purposes be treated as a non-voting member of that committee, joint committee or, as the case may be, sub-committee."

The Secretary of State has the power to grant exemptions for specific purposes and there are currently four contained in the Parish and Community Councils (Committees) Regulations 1990:

(a) the management of land owned or occupied by the council;
(b) where the council are a harbour authority as defined in section 57(1) of the Harbours Act 1964(1), their functions as such;
(c) any function under section 144 of the 1972 Act(2) relating to the promotion of tourism;
(d) any function under section 145 of the 1972 Act relating to the management of a festival.
answered by (15.9k points)
DtC's knowledge is boundless.  The organisations he provides his professional services to are indeed very fortunate.
Thank you Sam.
Thanks DavetheClerk for this answer - especially for quoting chapter and verse.
Looking into this further I see that the Local Government and Housing Act 1989, section 13,  sub-section 4,  does list its own exemptions where non-members can have voting rights, and sub-section 4(e) is:
'a committee appointed under section 102(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 (appointment of advisory committees by local authorities);'
The key word of course is 'advisory' and committees (or sub-committees) appointed under s.102(4) have no power to discharge the functions of a council. Nevertheless they are an instance where non-members can exercise voting rights.

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative