Follow us on Twitter

Councillor resignation

0 votes
It was overheard that one of our Councillors resigned a few months ago. There is no word of it anywhere the only sign being her removal from the website. Is there a procedure to be followed to recruit? My email and verbal enquiry was not answered. Thank you.
asked by (550 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
The council must notify the elections officer of the district council immediately. The elections officer will publish a statutory notice of vacancy which must be displayed on notice boards and websites (both district and parish council). The notice will explain that there is a period of 14 working days during which ten or more electors may petition for a public election to be held to fill the vacancy. If, after this period has elapsed, no petition has been received, the parish council may fill the vacancy by co-option, which it should do at the earliest opportunity. This is usually taken to mean that it must be advertised locally (the district council has no involvement in the co-option process) and included on the agenda for each meeting and that, if a person expresses a willingness to stand, they should be co-opted unless there is a very good reason not to. There are no legislative requirements regarding the process of co-option, so it is up to the council to determine how it will proceed if more than one candidate is identified, but all candidates must be treated equally.
answered by (18.7k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative