Follow us on Twitter

Can a parish council unilaterally agree to transfer funds to a registered charity?

0 votes
My Parish Council recently transferred money from parish precept funds to charity 219279. Are they entitled to do this?
asked by (120 points)

3 Answers

0 votes
Yes, the Parish Council, can donate to the Royal British Legion.

Parishes have a power to support charities and charitable activities.
answered by (6.7k points)
0 votes
For the majority of local councils, these powers are defined in Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972.
answered by (18.5k points)
0 votes
What do you mean by "Unilaterally"   That implies either without the involvement  of another organisation - or a decision taken by an individual (e.g The chair) , which is certainly not the case.
answered by (13.6k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative