Follow us on Twitter

Councillors Disclosures of Pecuniary Interests

0 votes
Please can you let me know if a Parish Councillor has to declare an interest in land within the parish that he/she is a Tenant of, a hay crop is taken from this land every year, and it is land where the Councillor in question is also trying to develop and has set up a Limited company in this respect, at the present time, the Parish Council are not involved with the proposed development, although it was at the start of the negotiations and now has only stood aside because of the registering of the Limited company.
asked by (160 points)

2 Answers

+1 vote

All land owned, or to which a councillor or their spouse has an interest, must declare it on their public declaration of interests. It should be easily accessible from the parish council website or the district council if they do not have a website.

They must also declare members of any organisation, political and trade union memberships etc.
answered by (6.5k points)
+1 vote
As somebodyelse has said, it must be declared. The applicable legislation is the schedule to The Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, which includes the following:

Land - Any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the relevant authority.

Licences - Any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the relevant authority for a month or longer.
answered by (17.1k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative