Follow us on Twitter

How can a Parish council enforce dog fines for allowing dogs to mess on their parks and public places please?

0 votes
Can Parish Councillors 'patrol' in pairs, takes photos of dogs pooping in prohibited areas and then photograph dog with owner - take evidence to dog wardens and result in a fine? This topic causes so many issues on playing fields where there are children's play areas, football and cricket pitches and yet some thoughtless owners continue to leave dog mess. Do PCs have any power to enforce their own rules and fines?
asked by (1.3k points)

1 Answer

0 votes
If the relevant park / play area is owned or leased by the council then they can enforce their own parish bye-laws.

These bye-laws can only be enforced (i.e. fines issued) by an authorised officer of the council or a constable.

This means that whilst councillors could collect evidence (as could any member of the public), they could not fine anyone, only the authorised officer (the parish clerk or any staff employed - and authorised could do so), or a police constable.

For this reason, bye-laws that create offences must be approved by the MHCLG and your local police authority.

In a small parish, I would be careful of parish councillors going around photographing people - as opposed to talking to them - you don't want to create an, easily created, animosity between the village and council.
answered by (5.8k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative