Follow Councillor Q&A on Twitter

Follow us on Twitter

0 votes
There is a planning application within our small parish. It has been going on for a few years now. The site is on a former now demolished pub. There is a resident house adjacent to the site.  Councillors want something done to the land as its untidy. What should be the relationship between Council,  developer and ward councillor. Given not all councillors agree to the proposed plans and council itself has not explored any risks eg flooding, traffic and a protected tree on the site. Any advice welcome Tia Helen
by (1.7k points)

2 Answers

0 votes
Has planning permission been granted for the site?  Was the demolition of the pub included within the planning permission?
by (52.7k points)
That's so sad to hear. We lost our post office in the early 80's & have never had a school. We still have a pub but it's target market are the local farmers. Is there anything you can do to stop the closures? Having raised my concerns over the planning issue my fellow Councillors have decided to ask our ward councillor to call in the planning application. We have one abstention, 2 for development, 2 who are agreeing but dont think it will get passed and me. The developer has only submitted plans of hiw the houses will look. We await the detailed application for submission to the LA.
If the developer is willing to work with you to agree a proposal that goes some way towards meeting your requirements as well as theirs, that should carry some weight with the planners, although they must also be guided by their policies, hence my original suggestion of asking them for an opinion of the site.  Any degree of dialogue and compromise is better than the alternative.  My derelict school site is the result of the owner, the parish council and the planners being unable to agree on any proposed development. The roof caved in two winters ago and with all the windows and doors now missing and trees taking over the site, it's only a matter of time before the walls start to crumble. It's opposite the main entrance to our lovely parish church at the heart of our village.
Truly heartbreaking to hear. I have just heard this morning that the ward councillor is calling in the developers plans to go before the planning Committee. The ironic thing is majority of the parish Council dont think it will get through as the plans aren't good enough. Hey ho. Good luck and fingers crossed with your parish I genuinely wouldn't know where to start.
As an outline application, very little information is required.  It merely establishes the right to build, subject to the submission of more detailed plans at a later date.
Yes  council have been forwarded plans of thr dwellings and an impression of the overall look. No further information hence why I'm annoyed that the ward councillor has called it in before council have seen the full plans. The developers holding council to ransom. I've clearly stated my views but majority rules. We await the full plans from the developer to go to the LA.
0 votes

The PC should contact the Ward Cllr for the Principal authority and ask him to get the PA to issue a Section 215 notice to the land owner.  

If the Local Planning Authority considers that the condition of land or buildings is having a harmful effect on the area they may serve a Notice under Section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. The Notice may require certain steps to be undertaken by the owner of the land to remedy its condition.

by (34.6k points)
Thanks for this. If planning is granted this shouldn't be a problem. However, the planning inspectorate has stated that no development should occur.
A section 215 notice can be issued regardless of whether or not Planning consent is granted.  However the Principal Authority might be reluctant to issue one for various reasons.
Thank you. This is really useful as we have another parcel of land to deal with  which this information would address. Thanks again.

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Clares Cushions logo Peacock cushion

Clare's Cushions creates beautiful hand made cushions and home accessories from gorgeous comtemporary fabrics. We have a fantastic selection of prints including Sophie Allport and Orla Kiely designs and most covers can be ordered either alone or with a cushion inner. Buying new cushions is an affordable and effective way to update your home interior, they're also a great gift idea. Visit our site now

Google Analytics Alternative