Follow us on Twitter

Parish Councillors duty to represent Ward or sub-ward?

0 votes
The duty of a Parish Councillor is to represent their Ward. Where a Parish Ward is sub-warded, do Parish Councillors have a duty to represent the Ward as a whole or their sub-ward?
asked by (140 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
The duty of the Cllr is to represent the ward or electoral sub division they were elected (contested or not contested) or co opted to serve.  That is indicated on the notice served by the Principal; Authority returning or acting returning officer..

Where did you get the term "Sub warded" from?  In some instances a Parish might not be warded .  Where I live the Parish is warded, and the ward names and boundaries are exactly the same as those used by for the Principal Unitary Authority.  In other instances, a Parish may be warded but the names and boundaries may be unique to the parish.  Different names may apply to those used by Unitary  District & County Councils.   I don't know of any sub ward division other than polling districts.
answered by (9k points)
Thank you Graeme. I think the reference is to a District Council Ward which as a Parish has 3 wards which were referred to as "sub-wards".

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative