Follow us on Twitter

Clerks Absence

0 votes
Our Council has a diligent Clerk/RFO who arranges leave so that his job doesn't need cover. Unfortunately the Clerk has been taken ill and a temp has had to be recruited in the interim as work was stacking up. This has opened a can of worms and not all is as it should be, there are rumours flying around but everything is being dealt with as confidential by a special committee. The latest is that the Clerk is seeking early retirement but a member of the public wants to involve the Police.  If the Clerk was to retire with a 'Golden Handshake' and if there are serious matters uncovered could the Council still seek redress, obviously at an affordable cost? I understand that the APC tend to focus on Officer support and mentoring rather than Member tailored advice.  Many thanks in anticipation.
asked by (440 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Can I suggest that you speak to your insurance company with regards to this as parish councils are required to have Fidelity Guarantee cover which protects the parish council against theft / fraud or other matters relating to employees.  They should be able to advise on the best course of action.

If there is a case to answer, they will advise on contacting the police etc as they would be the company paying out in the end.
answered by (10.9k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative