Follow us on Twitter

Subject Access Request

0 votes
I submitted a Subject Access Request to my local Council after I heard that a ‘file’ had been compiled about me after I had made a formal (unresolved) complaint. Despite a reminder, the 40 days deadline has now expired and the request 15 days overdue.  I have been led to believe that all ‘sensitive’ paperwork is kept at the Clerks home for safekeeping despite him having a fully furnished dedicated office and 3 part time assistants. I had hoped the Chairman may have responded and this was why not, I find this quite bizarre.

Has anyone else experienced difficulties when submitting a SAR. I have contacted the ICO for advice but not submitted a complaint.
asked by (440 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
In many cases those who don't respond do so because they are inexperienced in dealing with subject access requests. However, as professional staff, the clerk should be trained and fulfil the request in full, or write to you explaining a) the delay b) the legal reasons why information is being withheld.

A referral to the ICO usually resolves most problems.
answered by (5.8k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative