Questions about town and parish councils
Follow Councillor Q&A on X/Twitter

Follow us on X/Twitter

0 votes
I would like to know if it is common for parish councils to implement a two-tier system of sick pay benefits, differentiating between full-time and part-time employees.

Any insights or examples from your experiences would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
ago by (490 points)
reshown ago by

1 Answer

0 votes

It is unlawful to treat a part time worker differently to a full time one.

You have to earn at least £123 per week to get statutory sick pay. Is this where the difference is?

ago by (5.0k points)
No. The difference is between "non-local government contracts" which are part time support staff and "approved local government contracts" which are full time "officer" roles e.g. Clerk and RFO.

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Clares Cushions logo Peacock cushion

Clare's Cushions creates beautiful hand made cushions and home accessories from gorgeous comtemporary fabrics. We have a fantastic selection of prints including Sophie Allport and Orla Kiely designs and most covers can be ordered either alone or with a cushion inner. Buying new cushions is an affordable and effective way to update your home interior, they're also a great gift idea. Visit our site now

3,001 questions
5,890 answers
10,224 users
Google Analytics Alternative