Questions about town and parish councils
Follow Councillor Q&A on X/Twitter

Follow us on X/Twitter

0 votes
We’re thinking of changing the structure of the parish precept, and abolishing payments for council tax band A and B properties, and rejigging payments for the remaindered bands.

But, is this in the remit of a PC to ask the borough authority?
by (140 points)

1 Answer

+4 votes
The precept procedure is set in law and cannot be changed.

You do not demand a particular figure from a band A or a band D, but issue a demand to the district council for the full amount, e.g. £50,000.

The district council then issue bills accordingly. It is not in the lawful (and the district would not allow) you to do any other method.
by (9.0k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Clares Cushions logo Peacock cushion

Clare's Cushions creates beautiful hand made cushions and home accessories from gorgeous comtemporary fabrics. We have a fantastic selection of prints including Sophie Allport and Orla Kiely designs and most covers can be ordered either alone or with a cushion inner. Buying new cushions is an affordable and effective way to update your home interior, they're also a great gift idea. Visit our site now

3,001 questions
5,890 answers
10,222 users
Google Analytics Alternative