Follow us on Twitter

What does a councillor acting as temporary clerk call themselves?

0 votes
Our Clerk has now retired and we have duly elected a councillor to act as Clerk/RFO while we are recruiting. When sending emails or letters on behalf of the Council how does the Councillor sign off? Acting Clerk, Interim Clerk, just Clerk or something else.
by (2.5k points)

2 Answers

0 votes
I would say Interim clerk
by (2.9k points)
+1 vote
Acting proper officer as defined in Section 112 of the Local Government Act 1972.
by (30.8k points)
I didn’t see that it actually says that.
It appears to define that. PC may appoint from within its number to be officer(s) of the council.
It stops short, in my reading, of actually providing a title - but it shouldn’t be too difficult to conjure something relevant and catchy
It says "a local authority shall appoint such officers as they think necessary for the proper discharge by the authority of such of their or another authority’s functions" But section 270 of the Local gov act 1972 also says "(3)Any reference in this Act to a proper officer and any reference which by virtue of this Act is to be construed as such a reference shall, in relation to any purpose and any local authority or other body or any area, be construed as a reference to an officer appointed for that purpose by that body or for that area, as the case may be"

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative