Follow us on Twitter

Can the Chairman of a Parish Council sue a resident?

0 votes
A resident suggested in a round robin e-mail that the number of resignations on our PC was down to the Chairman's general attitude.  He had just been rude to a member of the Jubilee committee [not linked directly to the PC] and she has resigned.   He is now threatening the resident with legal action for libel [defamation of character I presume] if an apology is not forthcoming.
by (270 points)
edited by

2 Answers

+1 vote
He could sue in his personal capacity, and he would most likely lose, all the claimant would need to show was that he was rude to her, so it be shown to be her truly held view at that point in time.

Council's can't sue for defamation, and 'roles' (Chairman) can't sue. NALC note LTN30.
by (8.8k points)
The resident and the member of the jubilee committee are not the same person.  In this respect my second sentence was superfluous.  Apologies.
0 votes
Of course they can take legal action but it’s nothing to do with the Parish Council

Conversely the member of the Jubilee committee could make a Code of Conduct complaint
by (6.2k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative