Follow us on Twitter

Councillor owned land do they declare ownership?

0 votes
We have Councillors who are land owners and/or farm land within the Parish.

 Should this be declared? When and to whom?
by (1.3k points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Land that Councillors own should be declared on their Declaration of Interest form which needs to be completed within 28 days of taking office.  This form is sent to your District Council and you either have a copy of it on your website or a link to the District Council's website where it is displayed.
by (460 points)
Could I just add that it’s irrelevant where the land or property is it still should be declared and that includes a Councillor’s partner as well

Anyone owning property or who’s partner owns a property in the Parish including their own house should always declare an interest when decisions are being made that could for example increase or decrease their value directly or indirectly
Thanks everyone for commenting.  It appears this hasn't happened and been going on for years. Another can opened and more worms.
Just remember that a lot of land is held in trust or by Limited. Companies but if you look at the declaration form it covers all the bases

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative