Follow us on Twitter

Our Chairman and Clerk have resigned, do we need to notify the auditor

0 votes
Our Chairman has resigned, shortly followed by the Clerk.  Are we now required to notify the Auditor.  I  feel sure I have once read this somewhere but now cannot find it.
by (700 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Not being aware of any requirement to do so as a council is only beholding to the auditors for annual governance of finances and compliance procedures.

You are a democratically elected body with powers. One is election of a chair and second is employment of a clerk.

Your chair can be elected at your next PC meeting ( or EO meeting if you feel it urgent). As the chair's only function is to chair the meetings of the PC ( and represent the council in public) or if specified in standing orders deputise for the clerk in their absence I can see your only stumbling block. Perhaps a locum clerk to hold the fort at least until you elect a chair may be a solution but with cost implications( check with your county association)

So organise an EO meeting and elect a chair and get the employment of a new clerk moving.
by (16.1k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative