Follow us on Twitter

Should the annual remuneration payments for Cllrs/Chairs be taxed at source by clerk (don't mean expense payments)

0 votes
Remuneration for Wales recommend that:-

Chairs/Mayors receive £1500 per annum plus expenses and committee Chairs receive £500 per annum plus expenses plus all Cllrs receive £150 per annum plus expenses - See :
Principal Councils are deducting tax/NI from Cllrs at source - the question keeps getting asked  - should this be the same for community councils
by (210 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Yes. I think this is made clear in HMRC guidance. See the paragraph "Parish, town and community councillors" which says "The Parish Basic Allowance is taxable as employment income".

As such, it should be subject to PAYE in the usual way, and the clerk as the officer of the employer would normally be responsible for this.

Most town and parish councils choose not to pay allowances to members.

by (30.8k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative