Follow us on Twitter

Donations to unregistered charities

0 votes
Can a Parish Council donate to an unregistered Charity who are raising funds to ensure all local villages have a defibrillator?
asked by (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
They can do so, ideally the small charity would still be registered with HMRC, - they get an ID from them, before registering with the charity commission.

The other way is to set up a public subscription, and pass the funds through the Parish Council, allowing them to recover the VAT and be the ambulance service's nominated body to look after the unit - which many groups forget the ongoing maintenance costs of pads and batteries that need to be replaced.

As the Parish has a statutory power to provide and maintain lifesaving equipment, it would also be exempt from the free resource spending limit.
answered by (6.7k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative