Follow us on Twitter

Can a Councillor Submit an Expenses claim for an item purchased on behalf of a council for under £100

0 votes
If a Parish or Town Councillor has represented the council they a member of and purchased an item. If this item is then gifted to the council, can the councillor make a expenses claim for this?
by (260 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Probably not. You cite the example of a councillor 'representing' the council. Was it expected that in order for him to represent the council, he would need to purchase the item to which you refer? If so, the councillor would have been given authority to expend the funds when he was appointed to 'represent'. In this case, the item would have been paid for by the council and would therefore already belong to it. If it was purchased out of the councillor's own pocket but then wished to transfer it to the council, the latter could pass a resolution to purchase it. Council procedure (and indeed, the law) would not entitle the councillor to claim for what he had given away.
by (3.9k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative