Follow us on Twitter

I am being harrased by a parish councillor what can i do am worried of repurcusions from them?

0 votes
When i say harrased, this also includes false witness
by (270 points)

2 Answers

+1 vote
It depends on the circumstances.  Serious cases fall under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which makes harassment an imprisonable offence.  If you believe that you are being harassed in a serious way, then you should report it to the police.

False statements could be libellous, but that is a civil matter, and you would have to take legal action.  Or, in some circumstances, they could involve perjury, which is a criminal offence.

If the matter is causing you concern, it would be advisable for you to seek personal advice.  You could report it to the police, consult a solicitor, or talk to a local office of the Citizens Advice Bureau.
by (30.6k points)
+1 vote

In addition to Counterpoint's excellent advice, may I add that if the councillor concerned is acting in his official capacity when doing this, then he is committing a serious breach of the Code of Conduct and on top of anything else you do, he should be reported to the standards committee at the principal authority.

by (3.9k points)

Welcome to Town & Parish Councillor Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. All genuine questions and answers are welcome. Follow us on Twitter to see the latest questions as they are asked - click on the image button above or follow @TownCouncilQA. Posts from new members may be delayed as we are unfortunately obliged to check each one for spam. Spammers will be blacklisted.

You may find the following links useful:

We have a privacy policy and a cookie policy.

Google Analytics Alternative